Windows 10 IoT Platform
Opportunities and Challenges
Technology is transforming the way we work, play, and live in a positive way: services in the Cloud provide almost limitless compute power and networks provide nearly ubiquitous and instant access to these services. Devices are getting smarter, more connected, and central to all this transformation. The Internet of Things (IoT) provides a major opportunity for device manufacturers to transform their businesses as well by creating new device types and formats, new revenue streams through services, and by differentiating their offerings through innovation.
With this opportunity comes challenges as well: device developers must innovate in functionality and servicing models in order to stay competitive; new device form-factors, multiple development platforms, and disparate tools increase complexity; and with exponential growth in the number of things connected to the internet, security challenges are paramount.
Windows 10 IoT, Microsoft gives you the technology to make IoT real. Microsoft is a proven leader in the Enterprise space with a complete stack of enabling productivity, analytics, infrastructure, and Cloud technologies. Microsoft has a rich ecosystem and is already bringing real IoT solutions to market.
Here are two examples of running Microsoft IoT Solutions:
One Windows Platform
- Windows 10 IoT provides a consistent user experience across industry devices as it scales from an ATM to a handheld to a maker board.
- Helps streamline IT operations and save on IT costs through one management & deployment approach the same for PCs as for phones.
- Allows businesses to save on app investments with a Universal Windows Platform that enables the same app to run across device types.
- Enterprises can rely on Windows 10 IoT’s Enterprise-grade security to help protect user identity through two-factor authentication; protect sensitive information through device data encryption; and protect unauthorized access through secured remote access.
- Businesses can further lock down their devices for specific industry scenarios using Windows 10 IoT’s advanced lockdown capabilities.
- Businesses will able to use more retail peripherals with UWP apps in Windows 10 IoT, while developers will have access to additional industry-standard networking and GPIO support in building IoT devices.
- Businesses will be able to connect Windows 10 IoT devices to Azure Cloud services as well as other industry-standard Cloud service providers.