Windows Embedded / IoT Channel
The Microsoft Embedded/IoT Channel is an independent OEM channel beside the "normal" Desktop, Systembuilder and EPG division, focused on industrial "Embedded" Systems.
Embedded/IoT System stands for a computing system or device with an image, designed for (and distributed with) an embedded application and is not marketed or usable as a general purpose personal computing device (such as a personal computer), a multi-function server or a commercially viable substitute for one of these systems. Typically, embedded and IoT computing refers to any computer system or computing device that performs a dedicated function or is designed for use with a specific embedded software application. These are systems that the end user typically cannot modify. Embedded/IoT operating systems are usually highly customized for a specific task or function. They may be optimized for specialized hardware or a specific application. Since the configuration can be "locked down" and therefore rigorously tested, manufacturers of these systems can control costs and deliver highly reliable devices optimized for specialized tasks.
Customers have to sign a Microsoft Embedded OEM agreement (no quantity binding) to receive embedded licenses. Read more about license agreements here. The embedded channel is a closed channel, meaning sub-distribution of embedded licenses is prohibited and the OEM has to bundle the licenses with hardware to an embedded system.
Key Points for an Embedded / IoT System
- Operating system must be preinstalled. (HW bundled)
- System has a dedicated, industrial function.
- Must have a license sticker (COA) attached (non-visible attachment possible).
- Recovery media is optional (no mandatory installation CD for the end-customer).
Key Advantages provided through the Embedded Channel
- Cost effective and simple licensing model (only license stickers: stick and forget).
- Componentized operating systems possible (Windows Embedded Standard, Windows CE/Compact).
- Separate OEM channel with own OEM agreement without any quantity bindings.
- Easy deployment, same as for large OEMs.
- Microsoft OPK (OEM Preinstallation Kits) available through Avnet Silica.
- Long product availability (10-15 years)
- Language and version independent license stickers.
- MUI Multi Language Packages available.
- OEM Activation possible
Product Overview Table
- Vista Business 32/64 Bit
- Vista Ultimte 32/64 Bit
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Ultimate
- Windows 10 IoT Enterprise SAC
- Windows Embedded CE
- Windows Embedded Compact
- POSReady 2009
- Windows Embedded Standard 7
- Windows Embedded 8 Stnadard
- Windows 8.1 Industry Pro
- Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC
- Server 2008
- Server 2008 R2
- Server 2012
- Server 2012 R2
- Server 2016
- Server 2019
- Storage Server 2008 R2
- Storage Server 2012
- Storage Server 2012 R2
- Storage Server 2016
- Storage Server 2019
Embedded Application Server
- SQL Server 2005
- SQL Server 2008
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2017
Visit the different sections in the main menu for more information abaout a specific vector.